banner

Home History
Impressions



Swisher County Archives & Museum

Museum maintains collections of ranch and farm artifacts. A five-room house, rebuilt inside the main exhibit hall, is furnished with pieces from the early 1900s. A replica of the J.O. Bass Blacksmith Shop is also located in main exhibit hall and features Bass' tools and equipment. Other displays include military artifacts, needle art, Santa Fe Railroad and Native American artifacts, as well as exhibits featuring Quanah Parker and Col. Ronald Mackenzie. Written, oral and video histories of the county are maintained, as well as an outstanding photographic history of early life in the area. Outside exhibits include the 1917 Jowell House, (including its outhouse) furnished with 1930s artifacts.

museum quanah

Open Tue.,Wed.,Thurs. 9a.m.– 11a.m and 12 noon - 4 p.m. Other times by Appointment.

 127 Southwest 2nd Street

Tulia, TX 79088-2700

(806) 995-2819



J. O. Bass Blacksmith Shop

A replica of the blacksmith shop of J. O. Bass (1879-1950) is housed inside the museum.  All of the tools inside this replica were the tools used by Mr. Bass.  Spurs made by Bass have a distinctive style that continued until he laid his tools down in 1924.  Mr. Bass kept a ledger of his various designs which corresponded with his catalog numbers.  J. O. Bass spurs are highly sought after by collectors.  Today, spurs that originally Sold for about $7.00 now bring a minimum of $7,000 in auctions all over the Southwest.  A collection of his spurs is also on exhibit inside the museum.

                                                                                                                                           Designed by TimeMaster Will Sanders